For some time now I have battled with the idea that if I want to live a more natural life, I should choose to forgo things like makeup, spray tans and hair extensions. If I'm totally happy with the person I am, I shouldn't seek these things... Should I?
It's a common debate in the wellness world, and it's time for me to weigh in!
Appearance is important to me. It always has been, and probably always will be. I have owned and operated my own hair, makeup and beauty business for the past 7 years, and gained a strong position in my local market, because I'm good at what I do. I like helping people feel gorgeous on their special occasions, and reminding them of their natural beauty. (On a side note, that's my work in the picture above)
When it comes to me, I am happier than I have ever been with the way I look. Every curve, bump, bone, spot and hair, is just perfect. I am everything I need. But whether we like it or not, the way we look when we step out into the world presents a certain image. That might be 'I don't care what people think of me', 'I respect my body', or 'I'm so fancy' (oh hay Iggy).
This isn't about judging or being judged, or defining ourselves. It's about showing up in the world as the person you want to be, whatever that might be. This might mean the way you think, speak, act or dress. Or, all of the above.
As I said a little earlier, I have been battling with this concept, and working out what I believe when it comes to beauty, in a wellness world. Here's my take...
Beauty is part of who I am, I love styling my hair, tanning, playing with makeup and being super feminine. To push that part of me aside, would be unfair to who I am.
With this being said, I would never compromise my values.
So on this note, when I decided to have hair extensions put in last week, I went straight to my friend Lisa who has been a top Great Lengths technician for 14 years, doing 3-7 sets of extensions a week. Not only is Lisa's application spot on, the hair she uses (Great Lengths) is ethically sourced from Temple's in India. Using 100% virgin (never coloured) hair. Plus all of the proceeds of the sale of the hair are then put back into the Temple and the community, never directly to an individual.
All Great Lengths hair goes through the following strict criteria...
- Every strand has been donated willingly and with the full consent of the donor.
- The donor has been treated with respect and care.
- A fair and reasonable price is agreed for the hair and the money paid to the Temples to procure the hair is used solely for charitable endeavors, not for personal or individual profit.
- A company representative procures the hair to cut out unreliable middlemen and ensure full and direct knowledge of the origin of the hair.
- Exclusive in-house production process: Used from procurement of the hair to the wholesale selling of the extension to ensure full and documented traceability. Great Lengths International does not work through hair brokers. Great Lengths operates and employs our own sourcing staff and facilities in India so that we are always 100% sure of our hairs source.
To learn more about Great Lengths Ethical sourcing go here.
To have your Great Lengths ordered and applied by the best in the business, contact Lisa Napper.
0404 226 699 or email email@example.com
What are you beliefs when it comes to beauty in the wellness world? And what products or brands do you love? Share them with us in the comments section below, or contact me via email.