Up until only a few years ago, I really believed that purpose and career were the same thing. I thought that the hunt to find that perfect place for my skills to sit within the world would be my ideal career and that would then become my purpose.
And I guess on one token, that’s correct.
But now that I’m older and wiser (sometimes) I can see that it runs a little deeper than that.
It really took some exploration for me to understand this to a level that made sense to me from both a personal soul-filling perspective, and on a practical career-driven perspective.
I CAME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT I BELIEVE THAT PURPOSE IS LIKE THE CONDITION AND CAREER IS THE SYMPTOM.
I know it sounds a little icky to refer to your purpose as a condition, but I love a good analogy and this one totally nails it for me!
Let me share my example.
Rewind to 19 year old Kate, fresh out of Beauty School and uber excited to launch my own business. I was passionate about beauty and makeup, and a few incredible opportunities came my way. So I went for it, and started up a hair and makeup business that I then ran successfully for 8ish years.
On reflection, these are the things I loved about what I did …
- Getting to talk to women and hear about their lives
- Helping women to feel beautiful on the most important day of their life
- Seeing the look on someone’s face when they look in the mirror and say ‘I’m beautiful’
- Watching the family connection and support on someone’s wedding day
- Running a business that prioritised incredible customer service, professionalism but was also incredibly personal.
Yes I enjoyed actually doing the makeup and hair, and lots of the other parts of the job, but those 5 things are what lit me up the most.
If I ask myself the same question about my coaching business, the answers are somewhat similar
- Listening to my clients biggest scariest goals, and supporting them to achieve them
- Guiding women to love themselves from the inside out
- Seeing the look on someone’s face when they say to me that they feel so happy in their own skin, something they’ve never felt before
- Hearing about how the people around my clients are commenting on how vibrant, alive, inspiring they are! I love watching the ripple effect.
- Running a heart centred business, that makes me feel like I’m contributing to a better world.
What I love is the same, it’s just the means of doing that, that have changed.
I HAVE NO DOUBT IN MY MIND THAT MY PURPOSE HAS ALWAYS BEEN TO LOVE, NURTURE AND EMPOWER WOMEN TO LIVE THEIR BEST LIVES, AND NOW, I DO THIS AS A LIFE COACH.
I have no doubt in my mind that my purpose is love, nurture and empower women to live their best lives, and now, I do this as life coach.
How does this sit with you?
HAVE YOU THOUGHT ABOUT CAREER AND PURPOSE IN THIS WAY BEFORE?
The thing is, we put so much pressure on finding the right career, which like I was saying is just the symptom.
Lets shift focus a little deeper.
What actually lights you up?
What do you do with ease and grace every single day?
HINT: It’s usually something so simple.
I’ve always been a nurturer, it is my absolute highest value here on earth. But the thing is, it comes naturally to me. I do it without even thinking about it, so I overlooked it for a really long time.
As humans we have a tendency to over complicate things, and expect it to be so much harder than it is. Sometimes it is hard, sometimes our purpose can be hidden beneath years of confusion. But it’s there. I promise you it is.
You just have to be prepared to be patient, and to step closer to it every time you get the chance. And dedicate yourself to finding it.
If that’s what you want of course.
So over the coming week, I’d love you to take notice of the things that you do daily that light you up, and come to you with ease. Maybe take some notes, and draw some conclusions.
And if you find clarity, put it together into a little sentence and share it with me via email or in the comments section below.